Ready Player One: Post Two
Parzival and Art3mis's relationship seem to hit it off from the moment they meet in the Tomb of Horrors. Parzival is instantly in love from Art3mis's blog posts and when he finally meets her in person he feels the same way. With this new-found love comes distractions for both top level grunters. Parzival has no problem showing his affection during their chat session. "because I don't want to find out that I have a crush on some 300lb. pound dude named Chuck"pg.(170). This proves to be the fall of Parzival as he is more consumed with Art3mis than his true goal finding the egg. When Art3mis breaks this communication off Parzival is completely devastated and cannot focus on the egg. I don't believe hurting Parzival's feelings or side tracking his goal was her intention. She definitely feels the same way, but her goals of finding the egg and saving the planet are much more important. "It's not about the money. It's about what I could do with it"pg.(187). When the hunt is coming to a close Parzival and Art3mis will meet again to battle each other or work together to defeat IOI. Their connection will continue to form their games and ultimately decides who win Halliday's challenge.
I agree completely that Art3mis was right to call off the relationship with Wade, and frankly it could be argued that Wade was being pretty irresponsible with how much of his time was devoted to trying to woo a person he had never met. Especially considering what was at stake with the possibility of IOI taking control of OASIS. He barely even seemed to care that they had attempted to kill him and succeeded in killing his only irl friend. When one of the only places where most of the world finds happiness is at stake, you probably shouldn't be taking up the time of the two people most likely to save it.
ReplyDeleteI feel like Art3mis and Wade could have handled their relationship better. I understand why Art3mis decided to call it off but I think they should have found a way to work together. Imagine how fast they would have discovered the Jade key or even the crystal key if they had really concentrated on working together. Art3mis would have had make Wade concentrate a bit, but he would have gotten used to it. To be fair though, once Artemis did let Wade go, he became way more focused than he was before. I’d be willing to bet she did too.
ReplyDelete